Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Pinch and a punch...

...what am I, six?

This is going to be a brief one, as I don't really have much time. Also, I don't really know where to start with this entry - we've had an action-packed last few days, and listing everything we did in them would be tedious and time-consuming.

If you want to know the sights we see'd in Jaipur, I suggest you grab a guidebook and look up the entries for the Mammoth Crazy Giant Jaipur Fort; the Legoland Telescopic Theme-Park; and the Honeycomb Observation Deck; all of which have real names that I've forgotten. It will make for a fun fact-finding expedition. (Actually, I'm just too lazy to run upstairs and grab the Lonely Planet, but I'll fill you in on the real names when I can be bothered - possibly, never.)

We see'd all these sights with a hugely enthusiastic French guy that we met on the Agra-Jaipur train. His name is Sylvian, he's a jeweller, and apparently he found us hugely amusing, as after a few hours of conversation in (his) broken English and (my) broken French, he declared,

"I will go shopping tomorrow with you. It will be funny."

"Fun," we corrected, fearing being laughed at.

"Fun," he amended, "but also funny."

In any case, we never made it to the bazaars - there goes our dorky plan to get matching friendship rings in Jaipur. We did see practically everything else the town has to offer, though, courtesy of Sylvian, who had organised a driver for the day and whisked us around the city in a whirlwind or spectatorship and tourism. And all without us contributing more than a few dollars. He told me (while Helen was sleeping on the train) that an older traveller had shouted him a day on the town twenty years ago, and so he was repaying the favour, and Helen and I should take out some young kids when we're jaunting around the subcontinent at the ripe old age of 42.

So that was lovely. The next day at four in the morning - I was suprised to find out that they have one in the morning, too - we got up to take the train to Delhi - then on to Mumbai - then many things after that that I will detail the next time I write, as now I am off to see Gregory Roberts of Shanteram fame do a reading around the corner. You can take the girl out of Melbourne Uni Arts...


Helen says:

Still reeling from the back-gammon loss; too ashamed to type.



To be continued (like so many cheap radio serials)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home